Projekt:Uganda 2014/Idéer/Ansökan till SI
|Förslag Detta är ett föreslaget projekt som har inte beslutats än. Hjälp gärna med att förbättra beskrivningen.|
|Ansökan har avslagits.|
Texten ska vara på engelska. Detaljer från http://eng.si.se/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/01/Application_document_Seed_funding.doc:
- 1 DETAILS
- 2 Presentation of PARTNER ORGANISATIONS
- 2.1 1. Present the Swedish applicant organisation and describe its specific area of expertise.
- 2.2 2. Present the international and any further Swedish partner organisation(s) and describe their specific areas of expertise.
- 2.3 3. Describe the involved organisations’ mutual interest in the initiative.
- 2.4 4. Present the involved organisations’ previous experience of similar projects.
- 3 Background
- 4 Target group
- 5 OBJECTIVES AND Expected RESULTS
- 5.1 9. What are the expected short term results of this specific initiative?
- 5.2 10. Demonstrate the relevance of the initiative for the Creative Force programme objectives you have selected above.
- 5.3 11. Explain how this initiative may lead to a more long-term future collaboration and how this will contribute to the Creative Force programme objectives you have selected above.
- 6 Implementation
- 7 Risk analysis
- 8 Sustainability/evaluation
- 9 Ytterligare information på webbplatsen
- 10 Budget (max 100 000)
- 11 Vad de tittar på
- Title of the initiative: Wikipedia in Uganda
- Name of Swedish applicant organisation: Wikimedia Sverige
- Country (s): Sweden, Uganda
- Duration: 5 months
- Sum applied for (in SEK): 94,700 SEK
Presentation of PARTNER ORGANISATIONS
1. Present the Swedish applicant organisation and describe its specific area of expertise.
Wikimedia Sverige (WMSE) is the local chapter of Wikimedia Foundation (WMF), the charitable non-profit organisation that runs Wikipedia and a number of other free knowledge resources. WMSE has lot of experience in teaching how Wikipedia works, and what in can be used for. Founded as a non-profit organisation in 2007, WMSE has gained expertise in how teachers can use Wikipedia, how students perceive Wikipedia and how that changes when they learn more about it. WMSE works with projects that aims at supporting not just the Swedish language version of our projects, but all language versions (for example Wikipedia exists in 287 different language versions).
Over the last year WMSE has had an Ambassador program, where students get trained in how they can teach others about Wikipedia. WMSE has over 170 members and a lot of its activities are initiated and driven by the members with support from the staff at the office. As of September 2013 WMSE has four full time employees and a budget of circa 4.7 millions in 2013. Wikimedia Sverige has 40 independent sister organisations all over the world that works to improve Wikipedia and which WMSE are sharing experiences with.
2. Present the international and any further Swedish partner organisation(s) and describe their specific areas of expertise.
Mbazzi Farmers Association is a community-based organisation whose objectives include the creation of sustainable livelihoods through improved agricultural practices that are environmentally friendly, such as replanting of forests, animal husbandry, poultry farming, use of energy saving methods, among others.
Established in 1961, World Wildlife fund (WWF) operates in more than 100 countries. WWF currently funds around 1,300 conservation projects globally and employs almost 5,000 people across the planet. WWFs mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by: conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption. Since the inception of the organisation, WWF has developed the concept Education for Sustainable development (ESD), whose primer goal is to promote students' knowledge of environmental challenges and their abilities to promote sustainable development by fostering holistic, critical and independent thinking, the ability to formulate and solve problems and the ability to participate in democratic systems and to take responsibility for the well-being of our planet. WWF has a special transboundary ESD-programme for the countries around Lake Victoria (Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania) called The Lake Victoria Catchment Environmental Education Programme (LVCEEP). The programme works with schools, communities, and local leaders through education for sustainable development to promote the conservation of the Lake Victoria catchment while at the same time promoting sustainable livelihoods.
Kalmarsunds gymnasieförbund has a school exchange with schools in Entebbe, Uganda. Every year five schools in Entebbe and three schools in Kalmar visits each other and in that cooperation Wikipedia will be used as a leaning tool and more suitable Swedish students can be identified to work on the project in the future.
3. Describe the involved organisations’ mutual interest in the initiative.
To implement the stated objectives, the Mbazzi Farmer Association in partnership with Wikimedia Sverige are looking for funds to start a Resource Centre as a tool of sharing knowledge through Wikipedia in Luganda. The Mbazzi Wikipedia Project shall bring together experts in Sustainable development in agriculture and health who will train villagers in writing relevant articles in the local language Luganda. This knowledge will be shared through wikipedia with other farmers in Uganda that speaks Luganda.
WWF is one of the largest organisations in the world focusing on sustainable development and conservation of natural resources. Through substantial projects all around the world WWF has gathered a great amount of knowledge and experience in these areas. WWF sees this Wikipedia project as a great opportunity to share their knowledge and get more students and teachers to understand the importance in their mission.
WMSE works on promoting and improving Wikipedia in all languages and to get free and correct information out to the general public about biology, sustainable development and other issues is hence the goal of all of these organisations. Despite overlapping interests this is however the first time the organisations work together on a project. Important to note is that this first pilot could expand not just in this specific area but if successful similar initiatives could happen also in other countries in the future as both WMSE and WWF are global organisations.
4. Present the involved organisations’ previous experience of similar projects.
For Mbazzi farmer association this is a new experience to share knowledge to other farmers via Wikipedia.
WWF's program LVCEEP is currently in its second phase of implementation. The first phase was implemented from April 2004 to April 2007, and the second phase has been running from 2008 to date. LVCEEP's phase 1 purpose: To promote and influence change in attitude and behaviour of the target catchment communities and schools towards their immediate environment while sustainably using and managing natural resources. PDF: LVCEEP profile http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/lvceep_profile_final.pdf
WMSE has extensive experience of giving workshops on how to contribute to Wikipedia and have developed a number of tools and resources that our Ambassadors can use to work as efficiently as possible. For example WMSE has organised workshops with staff and students at high schools, Swedish for immigrants (SFI) and at universities.
5. Provide a general presentation of the problem which the initiative seeks to address.
The project seeks to empower both students and grown-ups in Uganda through the learning of writing in Wikipedia in Luganda. The project seeks therefore to strengthen democracy and the freedom of speech in Uganda. Wikipedia's founder Jimmy Wales once stated "Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing." Wikipedia is open for everyone, which also means that everyone can learn from Wikipedia. Knowledge is what empowers people. If the articles on Wikipedia about sustainable development are of high quality they can work as a point of reference for farmers and students interested in learning more and we expect this project to help reach that goal.
Uganda has a high potential for this project since the mobile carrier Orange, in cooperation with WMF, provides free data traffic to some of the languages of the Wikipedia mobile site, most prominently English and Swahili, the official languages of Uganda, but also the languages Kinyarwanda, French, Spanish, Arabic, German, Chinese, Hindi and Korean. This means that the accessibility to readers aren't limited by the cost of access to internet through mobile devices. This project is called "Wikipedia zero".
6. Describe the planning process of the initiative. How did the idea come up?
The idea came up through a longer collaboration between Wikimedia Sverige and Stagneliusgymnasiet in Kalmar where Wikipedia has been used in education in their Global Profile Programme. That collaboration led to other workshops and seminars relating to the subject sustainable development and how it was covered on Wikipedia. A group of teachers from Uganda also participated in one of WMSE's events and learned how to edit. The idea from the start has been that students and faculty at the school will continue working with Wikipedia and help others to learn also after class.
For four years the Global Profile Programme has travelled to Uganda with students and staff. Thanks to this the two Ambassadors that will go there have already lived in Uganda and gained both in depth knowledge but also an important network in the country. Taking the knowledge from the Wikipedia workshops and combine it with the local knowledge of Uganda WMSE came to the conclusion that we have a very good chance of reaching groups that so far have been left out from the information age and not actively contributed and also thank to these ongoing cooperations the project don´t need to begin from zero.
7. Present the initiative’s primary target group(s). (Please see the definition of the Programme’s target groups on the Creative Force website.)
Students and teachers in secondary school, villagers and farmers from Mbazzi farmer associations.
OBJECTIVES AND Expected RESULTS
8. Which of the following Creative Force programme objectives will your initiative contribute to? (You may tick one or more boxes.)
- Enhanced mutual, capacity-building processes and sustainable networks between actors who use culture and other creative tools to promote a greater awareness of democratic values and human rights.
- Improved opportunities for freedom of opinion and expression through greater access to the means of cultural and artistic expression.
- Greater access to information and the right to communicate through the creation of new arenas and forms of communication.
- Greater equality and non-discrimination by means of approaches that promote cultural diversity and human rights.
9. What are the expected short term results of this specific initiative?
Short term results is to gain contacts and see if the project model is feasible to expand. Through the project we will evaluate if the transfer of the knowledge about the Wikipedia Ambassador program is scalable in this setting and how a larger scale project should be run e.g. is more printed material needed, more boots on the ground or something else that is yet to be identified.
Parts of the input from this project in planning the next one is also to evaluate the infrastructure; what hardware is needed in this environment, what specific for the Wikipedia websites need to be thought of in terms of Internet access and speed.
10. Demonstrate the relevance of the initiative for the Creative Force programme objectives you have selected above.
Wikipedia will be a new arena and a new form of communication in Uganda with this initiative. Wikipedia will be used as a tool for every Ugandan to improve their access to knowledge, so they also improve their living-conditions. If the article of "Sustainable agriculture" and similar articles are improved by a farmer and read by many other, it can change the lives of many farmers who increase their outcome of their farming and thus increase their income to the family. It's important to know that every Ugandan will benefit from this project, farmers will help farmers, students will help students etc. Learning from each other in this way will also increase the understanding for each other and the cultural diversity of each other.
One of the particular goals with the project is increasing the amount of females writing in Wikipedia. This is one way to empower women and improve gender equality in Uganda. Also, thanks to WWF's and Kalmarsunds gymnasieförbund's close cooperation with schools in the area we will be able to reach a large number of students. Both women and the youth in the area will hence be empowered and become curators and communicators of knowledge, rather then simply consumers of knowledge.
11. Explain how this initiative may lead to a more long-term future collaboration and how this will contribute to the Creative Force programme objectives you have selected above.
WWF has applied for further funding and will support this project for a period of three years if that grant is successful. During these three years we hope that this project is well known and has spread to other countries all around the world. The Creative Force programme objectives will then be shared and implemented in the same way as mentioned above, with Wikipedia as a base.
WMSE will communicate the lessons learned to our forty sister chapters so that they also can build on our experiences in similar projects. We will also discuss with Wikimédia France about what they have learned from working on the Afripédia project, where they have worked in the French speaking countries with promoting Wikipedia. If this pilot project turns out successfully WMSE will be willing to partly finance and in other ways support similar initiatives also in the future.
12. Describe the main activities to be undertaken (e.g. when, who, what). In which country (s) will the activities will take place?
October-November 2013: The two Wikipedia ambassadors will prepare for the work in Uganda by participating in WMSE's activities in Sweden and going through the training programme for educators and Wikipedia ambassadors.
November-December 2013: Vaccinations, purchasing equipment and general preparations in Sweden by WMSE. In Uganda WWF and will identify facilities, schools to work with, prepare routes etc. before the two Wikipedia ambassadors arrive. Mbazzi Farmers Association will inform the local communities about the upcoming activities.
January-February 2014: Two Wikipedia ambassadors will travel from Sweden to Uganda and teach students, teachers and villagers to write in Wikipedia. The project activities will mainly take place in Uganda. The two ambassadors plan to have a blog where they write continuously during the project.
February-March 2014: Reporting of experiences and lessons learned from the pilot project to ensure a continuation of the activities.
Further on: If the pilot project is successful WWF might support a collaboration with schools in their LVCEEP program (Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania) after this initial pilot has ended.
13. Describe potential risks/obstacles to achieving the expected results and how you will deal with them. Risk is the potential of an event occurring which has consequences for achieving the expected results of the initiative; risk is always about future uncertainty.
Potential risks and obstacles are:
- The lack of access to Internet in Uganda. That could perhaps be solved by an innovation from Wikimédia Francé that allows for buffering of edits and an off-line version of Wikipedia.
- Frequent blackouts. There are frequent blackouts in Uganda and therefore one can't always be sure of the access of electricity. To solve this problem you can bring solar panels and batteries that can be charged by those.
- Accidents, diseases and thefts are risks connected with safety. However, as two ambassadors will participate they can work independently with the project if one of them are sick for a period. If both will be sick, the project must stop temporarily. Insurances will cover costs from any theft or accident.
14. How do you plan to evaluate whether or not you have achieved your expected results?
A survey will be sent to all the participating schools, where we want to find out how valuable it has been to them, what they have learned and what they would like to see done differently. After that we will have an evaluation day gathering all partners involved to summarize our findings. That will be documented in an extended report. The report will have specific recommendations for further projects specifically including scalability, evaluation on the pre-training, infrastructure in relation to Wikipedia and informational material needed.
All of the organisations will help to spread information about the outcome in their respective networks after the report has been finalized.
If the report will lead to further funding and extended partnerships with regard to similar projects we consider this project successful.
Ytterligare information på webbplatsen
- The title and summary should be provided in a communicative way, as it might be used by SI to describe the activities in an internal and external context.
- Title of the cooperation (max 100 characters) Available characters: 100
- Wikipedia in Uganda
- Summary of objectives and purpose of the cooperation incl. expected results (max 500 characters)
Available characters: 500
- Wikipedia in Uganda seeks to highlight these Creative Force objectives:
- Greater access to information and the right to communicate through the creation of new arenas and forms of communication
- Greater equality and non-discrimination by means of approaches that promote cultural diversity and human rights.
The purpose is to empower the target groups through learning them to write on Wikipedia. Expected results are new contacts for an expanded project in Uganda.
- 15 January 2014-15 February 2014
- Kontaktuppgifter till partnerorganisationerna (namn, position/titel, email, telefon, org. webbplats)
Budget (max 100 000)
- Journey: 2 X 11,000= 22,000 SEK
- Resident: 2 X 6,000= 12,000 SEK
- Insurance: 2 X 1,050= 2,100 SEK
- Transports: 2 X 6,000= 12,000 SEK
- Computers/tablets: 20,000 SEK (once-for-all cost)
- Modem and Internet: 1,000 SEK
- Solar chargers 2 x 4,000 = 8,000 SEK
- Cell phone subscription: 2 X 250= 500 SEK
- Visa: 2 X 350= 700 SEK
- Malariaprofylax: 2 x 1,200 = 2,400 SEK
- Administrative costs: 4,000
- Other spendings: 10,000 SEK
Total: 94,700 SEK
- International travel, visas and similar costs
- Local transportation (domestic)
- Food and subsistence
- Conference room expenses
- Equipment and supplies
- Project management/fees (incl. social security contributions)
- Project administration
- Information expenses
- Translation, interpreters (external)
- Expert participation (external)
- Audit costs (external)
- Evaluation costs
- Other costs
Vad de tittar på
Detta syftar på projektets relevans för Creative Force-målen och om dessa har införlivats i projektets utformning. Här ingår en analys av projektets förväntade resultat och om dessa stämmer överens med målen för Creative Force. Det ingår även en analys av sambandet mellan projektet och målgruppen för Creative Force.
Resultat och effektivitet
Detta syftar på om det är möjligt att övervaka och rapportera resultaten inom projektet och om projektet bidrar till att uppfylla utvalda programmål. Här ingår även en analys av om projektet har en rimlig (kostnadseffektiv) budget utifrån det utvalda programmålet eller programmålen samt förväntade resultat. Slutligen ingår det även en bedömning av projektets förväntade spridning.
Detta syftar på den sökande svenska organisationens kapacitet och erfarenhet av att leverera efter förväntade resultat. Här ingår ledningsstrukturen och organisationen såväl som kapaciteten för att planera, följa upp och utvärdera. Det syftar även på organisationens kapacitet att hålla en acceptabel nivå av ekonomisk ledning och kontroll.
Hållbarhet och ägarskap
Detta syftar på möjligheten att uppnå en långsiktig varaktighet av projektets förväntade resultat. Det tittar även på styrkan i partnerägandeskap och om projektet har möjlighet att vara fortsatt starkt även när det är slutfört eller när SI:s stöd upphör.
Här ingår en bedömning av analysen över inre och yttre risker som kan påverka de förväntade resultaten för projektet, samt en bedömning av möjliga inplanerade åtgärder som ska minska dessa risker.
Detta syftar på om den sökande har haft möjlighet att undersöka och koordinera projektet efter andra liknande insatser i samma verksamhetsområde