Projekt:Europeana Awareness 2012/Fashion Edit-a-thon no. 2
Fashion is one of Wikipedia's weakest areas in terms of coverage and this edit-a-thon is a first step in changing this. By bringing together experienced Wikipedians with energetic and knowledgeable students and subject matter experts, we hope to take some initial steps in taking fashion to Wikipedia. This edit-a-thon takes place on the 12 November from 08.00 to 16.00 at Nordiska museet in Stockholm. This event is organized in cooperation between Wikimedia Sverige, Nordiska museet, Stockholm University, Europeana and Europeana Fashion.
At the same time there will be fashion edit-a-thons taking place at the Rossimoda Shoe Museum in Italy and at the MINERVA Conference in Jerusalem, Israel. They are all united through a one month long contest called the Europeana Fashion Challenge that starts during the edit-a-thons. The winner will receive a number of beatutiful and informative reference books about fashion and textiles.
During the event participants will come together to edit and contribute new information to Wikipedia by using the digital collections shared by the Nordiska museet and the MoMu Fashion Museum Antwerp. The goal of the edit-a-thon is to improve and increase the presence of fashion related information on Wikipedia and spread knowledge about the collections of the Nordiska museet, Europeana Fashion and Wikipedia as sources of information. The theme is fashion in general and shoes in particular.
Through our fantastic collaboration we can offer snacks, coffee and tea during the edit-a-thon, a lunch in the restaurant at the Nordic Museum and at the end of the day there will be time for a mingle with soft drinks and snacks. Our experience is that it is essential that blood sugar is kept at a reasonable level for the writing to be as fun as possible!
So join us to help improve Wikipedia, to meet nice people and create new, or improve existing, articles about fashion! The event has a limited number of places so we ask that you pre-register as soon as you can. An unlimited number of participants can however join online and work with the articles (please sign up here)!
All edit-a-thon participants will have a 20% discount on literature about fashion and textile in the museum shop. Just show your name tag in the shop.
- Date: 12 November 2013
- Time: 08.00-16.00
- Place: Nordiska museet, in the room Fatburen, Djurgårdsvägen 6-16. Entrance: The North entrance, facing Strandvägen.
- Event: An Edit-a-thon. Together we write articles about fashion and shoes.
- Registration: On Eventbrite.com. Please sign up here with your username either before or during the event so that we can keep some statistics of the result.
- Food: Snacks, coffee and tea during the edit-a-thon, a lunch in the restaurant at the Nordic Museum. At the end we serve soft drinks and snacks during the closing mingle.
An open WIFI-net is available.
Lunch coupons will be distributed in the beginning of the event and participants can go and eat at the restaurant when they feel hungry between 11.30-14.00.
08.00-08.30: Registration and coffee/tea and Swedish cinnamon buns.
08.30: The Edit-a-thon starts and the hosts at the Nordiska museet wish everybody welcome and talk about the event and the photos, reference books and magazines that can be used.
08.40: Presentation – what is Europeana Fashion?
09.00: Inspiration Shoes - a retro slide show about shoes in the Nordiska museet’s collections with curator Helena Lindroth 09.30: How to edit on Wikipedia. Short presentation of Wikipedia by John Andersson, Wikimedia Sverige.
10.00: The participants start writing articles. Practical support on how to edit is given by Wikimedia Sverige. Nordiska museet's staff will help participants finding source material.
13.00: Tour of your own choice - in the newly opened exhibition. For example the Power of Fashion, or in the newly opened exhibition Stripes, rhythm, direction. Audio-guides are available in some exhibits.
13.45: More writing!
15.00: End ceremony.
15.15-16.00: Mingle with soft drinks and snacks
The presentations and the exhibition tour are given in English.
Coffee and tea and snacks will be provided all day and vouchers for lunch are given that include Loka/lättöl, salad and coffee or tea. The lunch may be eaten anytime between 11.30 pm – 14.00 pm.
- Please bring your own laptop – an open WIFInet is available.
- Any special reference literature that you might like to use.
- Create your own user on Wikipedia. Please try to do it in advance as there is an upper limit to how many people can register from a single IP address during one evening. Here is a step-by-step introduction on how to create a user page and edit on Wikipedia.
- Spread the word about the event!
Participation at Nordiska museet
There is a limited amount of people that can participate in person, so please sign up on Eventbrite.com.
I will participate!
I might participate
Add your name here!
There is no limit and all help is much welcome!
I will participate!
- Add your name here!
I might participate
- Add your name here!
Articles to work on
Here we will add images from Europeana Fashion linked to the matching articles but also images from the Nordiska museet!
We want to know more of what these images can tell us! Help us to put them in context!
Next to the images there are suggestions for articles that you can create or expand and illustrate with the images. There are also links to the English articles that you can translate to or from.
If you have other suggestions for articles that you would like to work on and use the images for you are more than welcome!
Feel free to add more suggestions for what articles the images can illustrate.
- ok - on the en:Wiki Category:Norwegian clothing could surely do with expansion, & we have no article on Viking costume or similar. Btw the British Museum has a big Viking exhibition in 2014, with lots of loans from Scandinavian museums, & we will be trying to get a GLAM project going across several language wikis. This would be a good start. I'm not too sure where the gaps are in later general European fashion. Johnbod (disk) 19 mars 2013 kl. 18.56 (CET)
- Good shoe images for inspiration can be found using the following search on Commons. /Lokal Profil (diskussion) 25 oktober 2013 kl. 17.24 (CEST)